I needed to review what was done on the Horace piece. Luckily, two friends who are fantastic singers were able to spend an hour hacking through the first stanza. It was great to have people so good working on the project, even at this early stage. I've got a good feeling about where it'll go next.
For the last week, I've been thinking a ton about Modest Mouse. The album This is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About was a kind of re-entry back into rock for me, back in 1998. Listening to it I realized how many shifting tones there are. It's kind of a Modest Mouse thing still--guitar lines with a whammy bar motion. But they really are all over this record, more than the recordings that came afterwards. They get described frequently as "angular" but there's a fluidity there that's really intriguing. I'm going to try to plug some of the tracks into Ableton Live and see if I can't make some nice overlaps. It'll be a fun way to revisit 10 years ago.
I guess it helps that we're up in Boston for the weekend.
Friday, June 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment