While biking to the library yesterday, I passed the site of the ex-DC Convention Center, like always. I missed its implosion. Since December, the structure's been gradually dismantled by the good people of the Wrecking Corporation of America. 11th St. is the best route for me to bike southwards to downtown, so I've seen the wreck get even more wrecked since getting my new bike.
The last freestanding bit were being torn down yesterday morning, with a real wrecking ball and everything. It was one of those experiences that made me wish I had my minidisc recorder and a digital camera. God know how heavy that ball was, but it crashed through 4 stories of poured concrete and steel beams, one story at a time. It's not going to take too long, and that entire building's going to be dust.
One difference between the suburban experience and other ways of living is that old or unused buildings get torn down. Well, maybe the bigger difference is that there are no worthless buildings out in the suburbs. Though urban areas all over (sadly mostly meaning on the coasts) are improving and white people are moving back in and establishing Fresh Fields and daycare co-ops, suburbs really haven't been in decline. DC and environs are a great example of that. 20- to 30-year-olds are moving into the city, buying houses that are getting pretty damn overvalued (but still stone/brick victorians), and fixing them up, but 30- to 40-year-olds with children are still moving out. The school system is still moribund (and still spending gobs of money).
I don't know what kind of structure is going to go up around 11th St and New York Ave NW. They must have torn down all that floor space because the land was worth more than the building. But it's going to be weird to think of how people will move into the center of the city, no longer because it's an economic necessity, but because it's amenable and fashionable to do so.
I guess there's no real tragedy to change--it's been happening as long as there's been entropy. But it doesn't mean that it won't make a lot of noise when it comes down.
ps--no new movement on music. I'd love to get inspired; anyone know how?
Friday, April 29, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment